Maria Von Trapp said that the beginning is a very good place to start, and it is. Before you get your billiards game underway, you have to make sure everything is set up and racked properly. We’ve got some tips to make sure your billiards game starts off on the right foot whether you’re play 8-ball or 9-ball.
What you need: a triangular rack, 15 billiards balls
- Start with the 1 ball at the apex (top) of the rack.
- Make sure the 8 ball is at the center of the rack (middle of the third row)
- Put a solid and a stripe ball in the bottom corner, doesn’t matter which goes in which corner as long as you have one stripe and one solid
- Place the rest of the balls at random
- Line the 1 ball up with the middle diamond on the side of the pool table
What you need: a diamond shaped rack, 9 billiards balls
- As in 8-ball the 1 ball will always be at the top of the rack
- Make sure the 9 ball is in the center, again, the middle of the third row
- Place the rest of the balls at random around the 1 ball and 9 ball
Now you’re ready to play. Game On!
For more tips on racking, check out these sites: