Never played billiards before? Don’t be intimidated. It’s one of those rare sports that almost anyone of any age can play. Just keep a few things in mind:
- It starts with the right cue. Don’t just grab one off the rack; take a few for a test run first. The perfect cue should be sturdy and straight, have a good tip, and feel comfortable in your hands.
- Master the basics. Little things like your stance, bridge, and stroke make all of the difference in your performance. Think straight and steady, and practice, practice, practice.
- Don’t be afraid of a little math or physics. You may not realize it, but math and physics play into the game of billiards. The best players know this and use it to their advantage. Check out our tutorial here.
- Play by the rules. Like every sport, billiards has its rules. Check out this handy reference for the basics while you’re getting up to speed.
- Rack ‘em up. Practicing your basics is essential, but the best way to improve your game is by actually playing the game – whether it’s 8 –ball, 9-ball or another game.
- Have fun. Sure you might be playing for high stakes – like who gets to clean out the garage this weekend – but stressing out will only hurt your game. So relax and enjoy!